When it comes to the world of reality TV production, or any type of production really, there’s a mantra that one comes to live by: HURRY UP… AND WAIT.
In every show I’ve cast, regardless of my best efforts, the shooting schedule for the people auditioning or the contestants always seems to follow this hurry up and wait pattern. When we need you, we need you RIGHT NOW! But then there can be hours where you’re twiddling your thumbs wondering what the heck we’re doing and what’s taking so long. This can be incredibly frustrating.
Here’s an example: for the last reality show I cast – which was a celebrity dating show – the daters had to be ready at 8AM. Sometimes the celeb didn’t arrive until noon, and often the actual filming didn’t begin until 2PM. This, naturally, didn’t really sit well with the cast members. By the time filming started, they were tired, grumpy and annoyed. And I’d be annoyed, too. This can pose challenges to filming, since it can take a bit before people pep back up once we’re ready to roll.
But that’s just the way it goes when it comes to production and casting…
- 18 Tips To Get You Cast On A Reality TV Show
- Casting Agent Reveals The ‘Snooki Formula’ That Gets People On TV
- Tips from Prime Time Reality TV casting expert Sarah Monson: Exclusive!
- What Does A Reality TV Casting Director Do, Anyway?
- Wanna Be On TV? You’re Gonna Have To Hurry Up and Wait